While setting up a test system for a new MVC PHP web project, I ran into a hiccup when I restarted Apache under XAMPP on my Mac (OSX).
Googling this error turns out not to be very helpful. It is shown as an error, but no solutions.
This is a hard-to-track-down XAMPP error because the error issued has nothing to do with the problem.
Here is the text from the error dialog, so Google et al can find it: “/Applications/XAMPP/xamppfiles/bin/apachectl: line 70: ulimit: open files: cannot modify limit: Invalid argument”.
I had simply created a typo in the CustomLog line in the httpd-vhosts.conf file.
This was in the httpd-vhosts.conf file in the code block sort like this:
<VirtualHost *:80> ServerName projectname.dev ServerAlias www.projectname.dev DocumentRoot "/Users/andrewault/www/my.projectname.com/public" ErrorLog "/Users/andrewault/www/my.projectname.com/logs/error.log" CustomLog "/Users/andrewault/www/my.projectname.com/logs/combined.log" common </VirtualHost>
The directory part of the CustomLog line was wrong, causing the error.